Cortijo Curiel, a dream location within one of the most prestigious natural landscapes in southern Spain, has been the ideal setting to test the full Jeep 4xe line-up – Wrangler, Renegade, Compass – and their capabilities and introduce the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee.
A symbolic location that embodies the Brand’s pillar of freedom, adventure, and fun to drive thanks to its position on the beautiful Mediterranean sea near Malaga city, beaches and nightlife.
The press conference was held at the stunning Higueron Hotel — a multifunctional space that communicates its ethical values and care for the environment: it offers an electric car dedicated charging infrastructure, and its design meets the highest standards of eco-living concepts. A beautiful setting that also highlight Jeep’s commitment to sustainability and the brand electric evolution.
Introducing the full Jeep 4xe line-up and the all-new Grand Cherokee, Eric Laforge, Head of Jeep Brand in Europe, said: “4xe technology uses electric drive to reinforce the unique Jeep DNA and the legendary off-road capability of our brand. In fact, it offers amazing torque on demand, more acceleration and fun and even more outdoors freedom in almost total silence.
“Today we further extend our offer with the flagship Grand Cherokee. We are talking about a fifth-generation icon: the first to bring to the road the idea of a “Premium 4×4” in 1992, and the most awarded UV ever. Grand Cherokee, which will be offered in Plug-in Hybrid version only, enters the LEV category as one of the most technologically-advanced, 4×4-capable and refined UVs ever. Its 4xe technology enhances fun, freedom and adventure while providing top performance, capability, fuel economy and eco-friendliness. It represents an important step in our roadmap to full electric.”
The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee breaks new ground in exceptional performance, comfort and functionality and has been designed and engineered to deliver even more of what has made this Jeep SUV a true global icon in the premium SUV segment.
- More eco-friendly powertrain with outstanding performances – with 4xe (PHEV) technology delivering up to 51 km city electric range and a combined driving range up to 700km, this is the most 4×4-capable and sustainable Grand Cherokee yet and a further sign of the Jeep brand’s commitment to “Zero Emission Freedom”. No compromise on performance with 0-100 km/h acceleration in 6.3 seconds.
- More legendary capability – the most 4×4-capable Grand Cherokee ever, the new Trailhawk 4xe has conquered the Rubicon Trail in full-electric operation; new class-exclusive sway bar disconnect allows for improved articulation and traction over rocks and rough terrain
- More technology – Uconnect™ 5 with a segment-first front passenger screen, new high-definition rear-seat entertainment system and Active Driving Assist
- More space and versatility – the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe offers enhanced levels of comfort and spaciousness, including accommodating a set of golf clubs transversely in the cargo hold
- More features – with an all-new architecture, all-new exterior design, all-new interior with front passenger screen and independent front and rear suspensions and class exclusive Quadra-Lift air suspension with electronic semi-active damping
- More world-class craftsmanship – the range includes the Summit Reserve trim with Palermo leather interior, real wood interiors, and 950-watt, 19-speaker McIntosh audio system
- More safety – with more than 110 advanced safety and security features, including Active Driving Assist with hands-on L2 autonomous driving, plus 360-degree surround view and Night Vision cameras
The all-new architecture and sculpted aerodynamic body style combine to improve vehicle performance, safety and reliability, while significantly reducing vehicle weight, noise and vibration. Designed to maximize overall passenger safety, comfort and convenience, the all-new Jeep® Grand Cherokee 4xe packs a powerful punch with next generation features and technologies that make it a standout in the full-size SUV segment.
First-ever Grand Cherokee 4xe PHEV
The all-New Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe combines advanced turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, two high voltage electric motors, robust TorqueFlite 8-speed automatic transmission and proven Jeep 4×4 systems, resulting in 380 hp and 637 Nm of torque. Specifically, the 400-volt battery pack is made of 96-cell lithium-ion and ensures up to 48km of all-electric combined range, which becomes 51km in city range, and a total range of up to 700km.
With the charging solutions offered by the brand and the use of connected services such as My Echarge, there are no longer any compromises to be made. It becomes child’s play to organize your electricity charging needs with the Free2Move e-solution partner, whether on public charging station or on your own domestic wallbox. All these activities are all the easier to manage; all is takes is to download the Jeep mobile application.
The hybrid powertrain can be tailored to suit each trip, from daily commuting in pure-electric mode to no range anxiety for extended highway road trips, and allowing owners to explore nature off-road in near silence in EV mode. Different EV drive modes are available:
- Hybrid Mode: This is the default mode. Hybrid mode blends torque from the 2.0-liter turbocharged engine and electric motors. In this mode the powertrain will use HV battery power first, adding power from the 2.0-liter turbocharged I-4 to maximize responsiveness. When the battery becomes depleted, the vehicle seamlessly transitions to conventional hybrid electric vehicle operation.
- Electric Mode: When the high voltage battery has sufficient State of Charge, the powertrain can operate on zero-emission electric power up to expressway speeds. In this mode, the engine will only turn on when the driver requests maximum power. When the battery becomes depleted, the vehicle will automatically revert to the Hybrid mode.
- eSave Mode: This mode prioritizes propulsion from the 2.0-liter engine, saving the battery charge for later use such as EV off-roading or urban areas where internal combustion propulsion may be restricted. The engine will be shut off when power demand is low, for example when the vehicle is stationary, or when coasting.
- Regenerative braking: whenever the vehicle is decelerating, the system first uses the available regenerative braking (up to 0.25 G) from the electric motors to slow the vehicle and recharge the battery, augmented by the traditional friction brakes when heavy deceleration is required, or when low traction conditions are detected.
Legendary Jeep 4×4 Capability
The all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe delivers unrivaled capability along with composed on-road driving dynamics. That legendary off-road capability begins courtesy of two 4×4 systems – Quadra-Trac II and Quadra-Drive II with rear electronic limited slip-differential (eLSD). Both systems are equipped with an active transfer case to improve traction by moving torque to work with the wheel with the most grip.
The class-exclusive Jeep Quadra-Lift air suspension now with electronic adaptive damping, delivers class-leading ground clearance and water fording. The system automatically adjusts to changing road conditions for enhanced comfort stability and control. delivers up to 27.5 cm of ground clearance and 61 cm of water fording.
The class-leading Selec-Terrain™ traction management system lets customers choose the on- or offroad setting for optimum 4×4 performance. This feature electronically coordinates 4×4 torque split, braking and handling, steering and suspension systems, throttle control, transmission shift, transfer case, traction control, stability control, anti-lock braking system (ABS) and steering feel.
The Selec-Terrain system offers five available terrain modes (Auto, Sport, Rock, Snow, Mud/Sand) to provide optimized calibrations for any given driving scenario.
New for the Jeep® Grand Cherokee 4xe is front axle disconnect. If the vehicle senses that road conditions do not require all-wheel drive, the front-axle disconnect automatically places the Grand Cherokee in two-wheel drive, reducing drag on the driveline and improving fuel economy. Four-wheel drive automatically re-engages when the vehicle senses it is needed.
The most luxurious and technologically advanced Grand Cherokee ever
The slim, sculpted exterior of the all-new Jeep Grand Cherokee delivers a more modern and updated premium appearance and is characterized by a wilder and larger iconic seven-slot grille and new front fascia, all-new premium, full-suite of LED lighting and a gloss black roof. The aerodynamic performance and efficiency are improved thanks to a lowered, tapered roof, thus without sacrificing cargo spaciousness and utility, while the lowered beltline and expansive glass allow more light into the cabin and increase outward visibility.
The all-new generous interior features handcrafted materials, class-leading rear-seat legroom and increased visibility. With such luxurious features and technology, the Grand Cherokee offers the possibility to take advantage of increased comfort, in particular by using the My Navigation connected service. If it is relevant to benefit from driving assistance when traveling by having a map that updates automatically via the Internet, to avoid congested roads, so as not to waste time… It is as important and fashionable as today to have tools that allow eco-driving solutions, allowing the behavior of the driver to be analyzed and offering him a complete driving experience.
Futhermore, the new fifth-generation Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe has the most available technology features in its history. The suite of features available includes:
- Uconnect™ 5 – the most advanced Uconnect system ever offers three 10.1-inch digital displays
- 1 full digital and customisable instrument cluster
- New 10 inch full color windswhield heads up display
- A segment-exclusive interactive 10.25-inch front passenger screen offers co-pilot assistance with navigation, camera viewing and visual entertainment
- Wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- New digital rearview mirror
The new Uconnect Services suite allows numerous vehicle functions to be controlled remotely and conveniently. Thanks to Uconnect™ Services, it is possible, for example, to ask Amazon Alexa the vehicle’s location, search for a point of interest and send the address directly to the car, all from the comfort of home. In addition, while driving you can talk to Alexa Voice Service, ask about the weather, manage home automation, play music, and more. (Compatible smart home device required and sold separately)
New remote control modes, including Jeep® Off Road Pages on mobile app, Eco Score to monitor driving style and more.
A new, state-of-the-art McIntosh audio system is standard on the top trims and features 19 custom-designed speakers (including a 10-inch/25.4cm subwoofer), 950-watts of power and a 17-channel amplifier. The Jeep brand is currently the only automotive manufacturer in the world to carry a McIntosh sound system.
In terms of safety, the state-of-the-art Jeep® Grand Cherokee 4xe ushers in an array of more than 110 advanced safety and security features, including innovative applications of technologies that refine the connection between driver, vehicle and the road.
On top of the standard safety contents across the range, additional available safety features include:
- New Night Vision camera with pedestrian and animal detection
- New Intersection Collision Assist
- Parallel and Perpendicular Park Assist and new Traffic Sign Recognition
- New 360-degree surround view camera system with front and rear washers
- New Active Driving Assist (L2) automated driving is also available.
Available in a wide range of trims
The New Jeep Grand Cherokee 4xe is available in Limited, Trailhawk, Overland and Summit Reserve trims:
- Limited – Grand Cherokee is its purest form. The ideal business solution. Equipped with the latest in safety, The interior hosts premium wrapped seats and a 10.25” digital TFT cluster, plus the 10” Radio Nav.
- Overland – the best of both worlds, Overland features premium comfort and authentic Jeep® capability.
- Trailhawk – Uncompromised capability, as only Jeep® can. Trailhawk comes standard with industry leading off-road systems and features among which 18” wheels with All Terrain tires, front disconnect sway bar and skid plates.
- Summit Reserve – the flagship of the entire JEEP line-up in terms of technology and refinement.The upper echelon of Grand Cherokee, the Summit Reserve stands tall on 21” Polished wheels and hosts an interior that offers unmatched comfort. Palermo leather seats, real walnut wood accents, 19 speaker Mcintosh Sound system and the segment exclusive 10” Passenger display, along with countless other exceptional standard features makes it without equal.
Jeep Authentic Accessories by Mopar®
Thanks to the wide range of Jeep Authentic Accessories, it is possible to customize the Grand Cherokee in several ways, to further enhance its superior style, functionality, off-road capabilities, comfort, and fun to drive.
Customers can choose from more than 90 accessories that range from exterior and interior features to safety, EV, carriage and electrical.
The premium exterior appearance of the Grand Cherokee can be highlighted, among others, by 21-inch wheel in Granite Crystal Finish, authentic Jeep emblem and dedicated graphics.
In addition, thanks to the Running boards, Splash guards and rock rails, customers can freely decide how to enrich the vehicle.
Several Carpet and Rubber Floor Mats improve Jeep Grand Cherokee interior functionality, together with the full range of accessories dedicated to the trunk: Cargo mats, liners, net, tote, and tray. Exterior carriage accessories, such as Cross Bars, Bike and Watersport Carrier, Roof Cargo Bag and Basket, make the Grand Cherokee the perfect travel and outdoor companion. In particular, the detachable Trailer Hitch allows customers of a large SUV to carry all their entertainments in their free time. Safety & Care accessories (Wheel locks, Protection films, Car covers and First Aid and Emergency Kits) complete the range.
And finally, accessories for charging the electric vehicles: a full range from charging cables with solutions for storage over the flexible Universal charger up to charging stations of different performance levels like easyWallbox and eProWallbox