Have you noticed the surge in Electric Vehicle adoption in the Middle East and Africa? Did you know that the partnership between NTN Europe and Mineral Circles Bearings established them amongst the top players leading the Aftermarket Parts Revolution?
The Middle East and Africa (MEA) region have been witnessing a remarkable surge in demand for electric vehicles (EVs) in recent years.
This shift towards eco-friendly and sustainable transportation is driven by various factors, including environmental concerns, government incentives, and a growing awareness of the benefits of EVs. Companies like NTN Europe, formally known as NTN SNR are playing a pivotal role in providing essential aftermarket parts to support the expanding EV market in the region and as their official distributor in the UAE, we are working closely to efficiently supply the demand in aftermarket solutions for electric vehicles.
How is the EV growth in the Middle East and Africa?
The Middle East and Africa, traditionally associated with oil & minerals-rich economies, are now embracing the electric vehicle revolution. For example, as of 2020, there were 6,367 electric vehicles in South Africa. As of 2022, 0.2% of new cars sold in South Africa were fully electric whereas according to the MoEI, there were over 20,000 electric vehicles registered in the UAE in 2022.
Several factors have contributed to this growing trend:
1. Environmental Awareness: MEA countries are increasingly recognizing the need to reduce their carbon footprint. The shift to EVs aligns with global efforts to combat climate change and air pollution.
2. Government Initiatives: Many governments in the MEA region have implemented policies to encourage EV adoption. These include investment in charging infrastructure.
3. Economic Benefits: EVs offer long-term cost savings due to lower fuel and maintenance costs, making them an attractive option for consumers and businesses.
4. Improved Infrastructure: Charging infrastructure is expanding rapidly, making it more convenient for EV owners to recharge their vehicles.
NTN Europe: Pioneering the Aftermarket Parts Industry
NTN Europe, leading automotive parts manufacturer, stand at the forefront of supporting the EV market’s growth in the MEA region. They provide a wide range of aftermarket parts crucial for hybrid and electric vehicles, including but not limited to:
1. Bearings and Components: NTN and SNR offer high-quality bearings and components designed to meet the unique requirements of hybrid and electric vehicles. These parts ensure the smooth running of electric motors, reducing friction and improving efficiency while meeting the demands of the latest car models.
As of over a year ago, NTN Europe launched a new range of main electric water pumps in their Powertrain family, comprising 5 OE-quality part numbers marketed under the SNR brand. It is important to note that in September 2023, an expansion of their powertrain range with the addition of 40 auxiliary electric water pump part numbers took place.
2. Chassis and Drivetrain Components: It is relevant to mention that NTN Europe supplies vital components for hybrid and electric vehicle with the same standard of quality as the parts supplied to vehicle manufacturers.
3. Advanced Sensor Technologies: NTN Europe is developing advanced sensor technologies that contribute to EVs’ reliability and performance, including sensors for battery management and electric motor control.
Actual Data on Growth
While specific data on electric vehicle adoption in the MEA region may vary by country, the growth trajectory is evident. For instance, in the United Arab Emirates the number of electric vehicles on the roads is expected to reach over 100,000 by 2025, and over one million by 2030,” said Naser Albahri, Director of the recently concluded Electric Vehicle Innovation Summit (EVIS) held in Abu Dhabi. That is supported by extensive charging infrastructure development.
In South Africa, EV sales have been steadily increasing, with projections indicating continued growth. According to the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA), it is estimated that there are 1,350 electric vehicles (EVs) registered in Kenya as of February 2023. As of 2023, 3,500–4,000 electric vehicles are recorded to be in use in Egypt (El Sawy, 2023).
While the Middle Eastern and African regions are experiencing a significant surge in electric vehicle adoption.
Mineral Circles Bearings supports the MEA automotive industry growth by providing essential aftermarket parts and contributing to the region’s sustainable transportation future. From the last wheel bearing generations with ABS sensors to timing belts, electric water pumps, state of the art oil seals, tensioners, CV joints and much more from NTN Europe.
What range of electric vehicles components and bearings are you currently in search of supply for? We look forward to reading/ hearing from you