The King Fahd Causeway connecting Saudi Arabia and Bahrain is likely to reopen by the end of July, media reports have said.
“A meeting of the Bahrain Coordination Committee disclosed the possibility of reopening of the bridge on July 27,” Asharq Al-Awsat newspaper reported quoting sources. It added that the opening plans will include strict protocols to limit the spread of coronavirus.
The 25km long causeway was closed on March 7, 2020 as part of precautionary protocols to control the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Furthermore, the King Fahad Causeway Authority had earlier announced the implementation of a comprehensive development and improvement plan for both the Saudi and Bahraini sides.
Work is ongoing to launch the first phase of an e-payment system for the causeway gates on both sides, it said.
The daily average number of travellers across the causeway is 75,000 passengers. In 2019, Bahrain welcomed 11 million visitors, the majority of them were from Saudi Arabia.